Sometimes you just need somewhere to have all your bookish bookmarks outside of your bookmarks bar (I always lose them in there). So I had a thought, why not share them with all the other bookish types? This is how the website collection was born.
I, and guest posters, mostly read Speculative Fiction, Dark Fiction, Classic Literature, YA Fiction, and a bit of Alternative Fiction, therefore a lot of the websites listed reflect that, but I’ve also listed resources for finding the next read, for authors to utilise, and places to buy book related merchandise. If you’d like to submit a website that isn’t listed, please fill out the feedback form at the bottom of the list.
Clothing and Merchandise for Writers and Readers
- FictionDB – A fiction database about books and authors.
- Internet Book List – Kind of like IMDB, but for fiction books.
- ISBNdb.com – A database to find books via ISBN, it also helps you find books and compare prices.
- The Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFD) – IMDB for Speculative Fiction.
- AntipodeanSF: SF Upside Down – Australian Speculative Fiction online magazine.
- Aurealis – Australian Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine.
- Heavy Metal – Adult Fantasy Art and graphic novels.
- Angry Robot Books – UK based imprint of Harper Collins specialising in Speculative Fiction.
- Dark Prints Press – An Australian Small Press Publisher specialising in Dark Fiction.
- Voyager Online – An Australian based website dedicated to Speculative Fiction (more fantasy though) and connected to HarperCollins (Oz).
- Australian Bookshops – A search tool to find book stores in Australia or used and new books.
- BookBrowse.com – like browsing a book store except online.
- Booko – An Australian search tool to find books (also DvDs) and compare prices.
- FictFact – Keep track of fiction book series,
- Gnooks – An interactive tool to help find books based on what you like.
- Trove – The Australian National Library search engine.
- What Should I Read Next? A search engine to help you find what to read next based on other readers’ ratings.
- Whichbook.net – A site dedicated to helping you find books via your emotions at the time.
Free Online Reads
- George Orwell.org – About George Orwell and they also have his writing online.
- The Literature Network – They have an extensive collection of both short stories and full novels to read for free.
- NetGalley – A great site if you’re a blogger looking for something to review and you can also use eBooks or read PDFs
Online Stores, Rentals, and Trading
- Anathema Books – This is a collection of alternative literature & non fiction which links you to the sites that sell them.
- Basement Full of Books – They have listings by authors who wish to sell their work.
- BookMooch – Not really a store, but a place to trade.
- Galaxy Books – Alternative store specialising in Speculative Fiction and Non Fiction
- Equilibrium Books – Australian based onlines store and publishers.
- Glee Books – Australian online store with stores also located throughout Sydney. They also have lots of events and special offers for members (including signed books).
- Indie Books Online – Australian Indie Authors.
- Infinitas Bookshop – Australian bookstore specialising in Speculative Fiction, role playing, gaming books and figurines. They have an online catalogue and then you contact them with what you would like, you don’t actually buy direct online.
- Slim Ink Book Rental – Australian based rental site. You pay a monthly fee and get books delivered to your door.
- Social Club Books – An Australian based online store with discounts.
- The Black Library – They specialise in Warhammer fiction.
- Vroman’s Bookstore – An independent bookstore based in California.
For Book Lovers;
Writing Related Websites
- Dr Wicked – A writing aide to help get those creative juices flowing.
- Mary Sue/Gary Stue Litmus Test – check to see if your character is a Mary Sue.
- BrickBox – A patented storage and transportation system available in Europe.
- Buy A Friend A Book (BAFAB) – A site promoting reading by encouraging people to buy someone a book out of the blue.
- Discworld Reading Guide
- Nadsat Glossary (for A Clockwork Orange)
- The Parliament of Blood – Flash game based on the book by Justin Richards.